Monday, June 22, 2009
Saturday, June 20, 2009
A brother of former INLA leader Dominic McGlinchey told the Special Criminal Court in Dublin today that he had no reason to believe that a Strabane man was an INLA member.
Mr Sean Mc Glinchey, who himself served 18 years in prison for IRA activities, and who is now a senior Sinn Féin member, said that he did not believe Eddie Mc Garrigle was an INLA member.
Mr Mc Glinchey said that he would not have come to court to give evidence on Mc Garrigle’s behalf if he believed he was in the INLA.
He told the court that he had held senior positions in the IRA and Sinn Féin and his brother Dominic had been involved for years in the INLA who held him in high esteem.
"At no time did I see Eddie McGarrigle in any discussions with them," he added.
Dominic McGlinchey, who at one stage was the most wanted man in Ireland, was murdered in Drogheda in 1994. His wife Mary was shot dead in Dundalk in 1987 as she bathed the couple’s young sons, Declan and Dominic.
Mr Sean McGlinchey told the court today that he accepted that the INLA is an illegal organisation.
He said that he had met Mc Garrigle in 1995 as part of his work in the peace process.
Mr Mc Glinchey was giving defence evidence in the trial of three men who were arrested in February last year by gardaí investigating a plot to kidnap a Cork businessman.
Edward McGarrigle (aged 43), Melmont Gardens, Strabane, Co Tyrone, Neil Myles (aged 54), of no fixed abode, and John McCrossan (aged 47), Ballycoleman Estate, Strabane, Co Tyrone have pleaded not guilty to membership the INLA on February 22 last year.
It is the prosecution's case that the four men were involved in a plot to commit a crime at the home of a Cork businessman.
The trial continues next Tuesday.
Limerick crime boss John Dundon believed to be in hospital
A LIMERICK criminal is reported to be in hospital in England – less than a week after he and members of his gang posted a video on YouTube threatening the leader of a rival gang.
John Dundon, 29, who is wanted in Limerick to face alleged public order offences, is believed to have suffered back injuries in a car accident in the Greater London area.
It is understood that his injuries are not life threatening, while an associate of the gang, who also fled the country following a number of high profile murders in Limerick, suffered minor whiplash when the car went off the road.
It has not yet been established whether the vehicle in which they were travelling was the dark coloured Mercedes that features in the YouTube video.
In the video, John Dundon boasts about his new high-powered Mercedes, a top of the range c-class that is estimated to worth up to €100,000.
A bench warrant was issued for his arrest last November when he failed to appear at Limerick Court for the alleged offences.
At the time, he fled the country after the murder of rugby player Shane Geoghegan, 28, in Dooradoyle, and the warrant for his arrest is still outstanding.
The four minutes and 19seconds video on YouTube - titled Limerick Boys in da Hood, has now attracted over 13,000 views.
It was taken down from the site last week, but reposted within a matter of hours by a different user.
In the video, John Dundon warns Christy Keane of a rival gang: "Christy, if you're looking for me, I'm somewhere in, eh, Europe, but I know where you are."
References to gunshots are also made in the video.
"I think he's going to hear a small bit of it. He's going to hear something and he won't hear the rest of it," said John Dundon.
Another member of the gang added: "Pop!"
The front registration plate of the car was covered with a plastic bag to prevent identification.
Two other Limerick men appear in the video and John Dundon boasts that one of them may be his getaway driver.
Ger Dundon, 22, who has over 70 previous convictions, also calls out in the video: "See you soon, motherf***er."
Ger Dundon was recently released from prison following a 10-month sentence for motoring and public order offences. He also was fined by Limerick Court last November for urinating on a Garda patrol car.
He has returned to Limerick and was seen in Ballinacurra Weston, the gang's stronghold, last week.
Christy Keane was released from Portlaoise Prison last February. He completed almost seven-and-a-half years of a 10-year sentence after he was caught with €240,000 worth of cannabis in St Mary's Park in 2001.
Local gardai who watched the video believe it may have been taken in Amsterdam and said the gang was being watched closely by gardai in Limerick, as well those from Dublin.
However, they said it was not clear if the video material could be used as evidence in future criminal trials against McCarthy-Dundon gang members, stating it was a matter for Director of Public Prosecutions.
Meanwhile, Roy Collins' family are still under Garda protection after threats were allegedly made against the family following his murder.
The family was reported to have been "horrified" when they saw the video clip and said it was further evidence that the gang "have no intention of giving up their terror tactics".
Saturday, June 13, 2009
On June 10, 2007, "A Cavalier," a self portrait in oil on wood panel by Dutch Master Frans Van Mieris, was stolen from the Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia. The piece was stolen while the gallery was open for public viewing. The relatively small portrait measures 20 x 16 cm. Its value is estimated at over $1 million.
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Tuesday, June 09, 2009
IN April 1992, Elizabeth Robinson was looking forward to spending the rest of life with her soldier fiance Michael Newman.
But her dreams were cruelly shattered when Sgt Newman was shot in the head at point blank range in Derby city centre – an innocent victim of the troubles in Northern Ireland.
He had never served in Ulster and was not wearing uniform when he was chosen as a target by the Irish National Liberation Army and killed.
The IRA splinter group claimed responsibility for the murder – writing to Sgt Newman's devastated parents telling them their son was simply another cog in the wheel in their fight to bring down the British army.
Seventeen years on, Declan Duffy, one of three men named at the time by police as a suspect, says he will write to the family again –this time apologising on behalf of the group.
He has also pledged to cooperate fully with the police and tell them what he knows about the murder.
But the move has angered Elizabeth. She said: "Writing a letter would devastate his mum and dad."
"What could he say to his parents. How could he apologise for taking their only son?
"They (the INLA) wrote to them at the time explaining that he was just another cog in the wheel.
"I don't know what he is hoping to achieve by writing to me or his parents, is he wanting forgiveness for murder?
"He can say what he likes but he will never get that from me.
"I became a completely different person after the man I loved was taken away."
Elizabeth was 28 when Sgt Newman, a Royal Signal Corps recruitment officer, was gunned down.
The 34-year-old was taken to intensive care at Derbyshire Royal Infirmary but his life support machine was switched off the following morning.
Elizabeth said: "This is a political war but we are not part of it.
"I was only 28 when he died and I did not know much about the situation. I am more worldly now and understand they have a political war.
"I understand they think they have their reasons but what reason is there for killing anybody?"
Derbyshire police want to speak to Duffy in connection with the murder.
The 35-year-old, along with Anthony Gorman, is facing extradition from Ireland following a request by Derbyshire police in May this year.
Duffy is serving a four-year term for membership of the Irish National Liberation Army, despite his decision to renounce links with the group, leading to death threats.
He said he expects to be flown to England next month and has vowed to help police.
"The police have wanted to speak to me about this killing for a very long time and I'm ready to meet them," he said.
"I won't gain anything by remaining silent during the interview so I'm going to tell them everything that I know.
"I would never have spoken to the police in the past but my war is over and there are things I have to get off my chest."
Duffy said if he was charged and found guilty he would accept his punishment.
He said: "I just want to put my past behind me."
Duffy also apologised on behalf of the terror group to Sgt Newman's family.
He said: "This man was a family man and it is regrettable that he was killed.
"I would be happy to meet with any member of his family to explain to them the circumstances of why soldiers at that time were being targeted.
"The war is now over and I acknowledge the hurt caused to Irish and English people."
In May, Anthony Gorman, was arrested on suspicion of murder by members of the Garda Extradition Unit.
He appeared at the High Court in Dublin and released on bail after the case was adjourned to give his lawyers more time to prepare a case against his extradition.
Previous attempts to have Gorman extradited in 1994 failed after legal arguments, but this time, with a new European law in place, it is hoped to be successful.
Days after Gorman's arrest, Duffy was held, also on suspicion of murder. He was remanded in custody to appear at an extradition hearing this month.
Joseph Magee, was jailed for 25 years in 2004, after pleading guilty to Sgt Newman's murder on the understanding he would be released two years later under the Good Friday Agreement.